IEMS ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES
The purpose of the Institute of the Institute of Extra Mural Studies (IEMS) is to bring the University to the people and the people to the university by using facilities and resources of the University, for the education of the out-of-school population of Lesotho and for its Economic, social and cultural development. It endeavors to do this in consultation with the appropriate Government Ministries
and departments, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Parastatals, academic faculties and private sector institutions.
To this end, the Institute aims at encouraging, assisting and coordinating the efforts of the academic faculties and departments in all forms of University extension.
All programmes are offered on a part-time basis.
Minimum admission requirements for holders of: Lesotho General Certificate of Secondary Education (LGCSE), Cambridge Overseas School Certificate (COSC) and General School Certificate (GCE).
Admission requirements for LGCSE holders will be based on the candidate’s achievement on subjects of interest in different programmes.
A. UNDERGRADUATE SUB-DEGREE PROGRAMMES
DIPLOMA IN ADULT EDUCATION – (3 YEARS)
- LGCSE with a minimum achievement rating of D (50-59) in four subjects from at least four groups including English Language plus a minimum of two years‟ experience in formal or non-formal education/community development programmes; OR
- LGCSE 3rd Division or above, with a pass in English Language and two years‟ experience in formal or non-formal education/community development programmes; OR
- COSC 3rd Class with English LANGUAGE (7) + 3 passes in any 3 subjects
- GCE with a pass in English Language and three (3) credits in any other subjects plus two-years experience in formal or non-formal education/community development programmes.
- Prior learning and work experience relevant to Adult Education will be an added advantage
Career Opportunities: Field Worker, Community Extension Educator, Assistant Researcher, Human Resource Manager (basic), Conflict and Resolution Manager, Crime Prevention Manager, Leadership Skills Manager, Change Agent Manager, Legal Advisor. On completion of the diploma can apply to enrol for a degree in Adult Education.
DIPLOMA IN MANAGEMENT (3 YEARS)
- LGCSE with a minimum of six subjects from at least four groups. Candidates should have at least attained a minimum achievement rating of D (50-59) in both English Language and Mathematics. The minimum achievement rating in the other subjects should be E (40-49). Other equivalent qualifications recognized by the National University of Lesotho will also be considered;
- GCE with Pass in Mathematics and English Language. Other equivalent qualifications recognized by the National University of Lesotho will also be considered;
Career Opportunities: Accountant, Human Resources Manager, Researcher, Industrial Relations Manager, Insurance Manager, Marketing Manager.
B. UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE PROGRAMMES
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN BUSINESS ENTERPRISE – 4 YEARS
The NUL Diploma in Business Studies passed with Distinction or Credit. Diploma in Management obtained at NUL. Other Equivalent Diplomas recognized by the National University of Lesotho will be considered.
Career Opportunities: Researcher, Human Resource Manager, Entrepreneur (self-employed), Accountant, Auditor, Bank Manager, can enrol for further Professional Qualifications or Post-Graduate Studies.
C. MASTERS DEGREE PROGRAMMES
MASTER OF EDUCATION IN ADULT EDUCATION – 3 YEARS
- A B.Ed degree in Adult Education with at least a second class (lower division) with an Overall Weighted Mean (OWM) of 65% upwards, from this or any other university recognized by NUL Senate; OR
- A relevant degree in any discipline from this university or any other university recognized by NUL Senate with at least a Second class – Second division with an OWM of 65% upwards; OR
- In exceptional cases, a holder of a Pass grade in any field with a two-year post-graduation work experience may be accepted. However, candidates in this category will be required to take and pass a prepared entrance examination. Preference will be given to applicants with at least two years post degree experience.
This is a self-directed programme that will run using a mixed mode of distance education. This means that we will utilize a mixture of strategies in order to ensure maximum learner support. These will include:
- Print media: Essential course modules, readers and other acquired reference materials.
- Electronic media: Including Open Educational Resources (OERs), video, audio, ICT in various forms. In particular facilitators and students will be able to access internet and to communicate electronically. Facilitators will upload additional materials on THUTO for learners to access.
- Short Message System (SMS): Will also be utilized as part of communication and learner support. Multi-media approach will be engaged for learner support purpose.
- Some face-to-face meetings: Running as follows:
- Two (2) days’ Residential Session at the beginning of each semester (Bi-monthly weekend seminars.
- Optional weekend group meetings.
Career Opportunities: Adult Education and Community Development; Open and Distance Learning; Adult Education and Management of HIV/AIDS programmes.
This is a high level human resource program preparing learners to be planners, trainers, administrators and change managers in the national development field.