FACULTY OF EDUCATION – Home
OVERVIEW OF THE FACULTY OF EDUCATION
ABOUT THE FACULTY
First established on January 26th, 1967, the Faculty of Education is charged with the responsibility to:
- Produce relevantly qualified and competent teachers and other education professionals for all types and levels of education: primary, secondary and tertiary.
- Further education of professionals who are already in service and facilitate life-long learning for adults.
- Forge educational links with national and international institutions, organizations and agencies with the view to promoting development of education and strengthening the Faculty‚s programmes and projects.
- Identify the needs of the country and those of learners, teachers as well as other education professionals, and then put in place in-service, part-time and distance learning programmes to address those needs, employing the most relevant and current technology.
- Carry out research in relevant educational areas such as curriculum and instruction, educational administration and management, special education and evaluation.
- Strengthen partnerships with education stakeholders such as the Ministry of Education and Training (MOET), churches and community.
- To provide consultancy and community services in areas of the Faculty‚s expertise.
The Faculty teaching staff counts at approximately 40. The Faculty has a student population of 2,495 ‚ making it the largest of all the faculties.
The Faculty‚s vision is to play a leading role in research, scholarship and community service in the field of education; and in developing high competent teachers and other education professionals.
The Faculty‚s mission is to provide relevant education and training to both pre-service and in-service teacher trainees with a view to producing education professionals such as teachers and curriculum developers who possess knowledge, skills and attitudes that will enable them to confidently address the ever-changing demands and challenges of the Basotho nation as well as to enhance excellence in teaching, learning, research and community service.
The Faculty shall embrace and promote the following values of the National University of Lesotho as spelt out in the University Strategic Plan: integrity, excellent customer care, honesty professionalism, tolerance, respect, transparency and accountability.
The Faculty is lead by the Dean. The Dean works closely with three Heads of the Department.
The faculty of Education has Three Departments: The Department of Educational Foundations (EDF), Languages and Social Education Department (LASED) and the Department of Science Education (Science Ed), headed by Dr. Paseka Mosia, Dr. Mahao Mahao and Dr Makomosela Qhobela, respectively.
Special Education Service Unit
The Department of Educational Foundations (EDF) houses the Special Education Unit. This Unit renders services to all visually impaired students enrolled at the University.
Faculty Assistant Registrar:
Mrs. Maleshoane Lepota-Mosakeng
Faculty Administrative Assistant:
Mr. Rethabile Mokolokolo
Dean’s Personal Secretary:
Mrs. ‘Mantjapeli Tsoeu
Mrs. Monica Sehlabo-Likhoeli
Mrs. Nthatisi Ntabeni
Mrs. Kesa Ramokoena
Ms. Ntsebeng Moeketsi