The Legal Services Department is directly accountable to the Department of the Vice Chancellor. The Department is primarily responsible for the legal affairs of the University. It provides legal services, counsel and support to the University to fulfil its mission and meet its strategic goals.
The mandate of the Department is to protect the legal interests of the University through strategic, proactive and efficient legal advice and services; and maintenance of harmonious industrial relations. In performance of its mandate, the Department espouses these values: efficiency; independence; impartiality; confidentiality; accountability; and professionalism.
The Department does not provide legal advice to employees on personal matters which are not related to the University. In situations where the Department is dealing with any member of the University on any matter related to the University, and there is potential conflict of interest, the Department will protect and represent the interests of the University.
The following are specific functions of the Legal Services Department:
- Provides legal advice and legal services to the University and directly to academic and administrative units on request.
- Provides guidance on legal compliance matters regarding strategy and policy implementation to University officers and senior management.
- Oversight, management and representation of the University in legal actions in courts and administrative bodies.
- Advises and guides the University regarding business, collaborative and other agreements to ensure protection of the interests of the University.
- Identification and management of University’s legal risks.
- Oversight of development and review of the legal framework and polies governing the University to assure internal consistency and compliance with national laws.
- Advices and guides the University on employment, discipline and labour relations issues.
Director Legal Services – Advocate ‘Mafelile Ralebese
B.A Law (NUL); LLB (NUL); LLM (University of Free State).
Assistant Registrar (Industrial Relations)Advocate Rasetla Mofoka
B.A Law (NUL), LLB (NUL).
Personal Assistant – Mrs. ‘Mantsieng Nkuebe
Diploma in Secretarial Studies (Commercial Training Institute); Diploma Adult Ed. (NUL); B.A Adult Ed. (NUL).
Phone: (+266) 22340601 ( Ext. 7209, 3814, 3706))
Fax: (+266) 22340000