FACULTY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY – Home
|Dean:||Assoc. Prof L. Z. Thamae|
|Heads of Departments:|
|Biology||Assoc. Prof. M. Phoofolo|
|Chemistry and Chemical Technology||Dr. E.T. Tanor|
|Geography and Environmental Science||Prof. V. Mashinini|
|Mathematics and Computer Science (a.i.)||Mrs. M. Leboko|
|Physics and Electronics||Dr. M. Makhele|
|Computer Science Coordinator (a.i.)||Mr. N. Mosola|
|Postgraduate||Dr. T. Mahamo|
|Quality Assurance||Mr. M. Phalatsi|
|1st Year||Mrs. M. Mokhethi|
|2nd Year||Dr. K. Seutloali-Thamae|
|3rd Year||Mr. K. Moeketsi|
|4th Year||Dr. L. Seleteng-Kose|
|Special Programmes||Mr. M. Seitlheko|
|Senior Assistant Registrar:||Mr. S.E. Liphoto|
|Dean’s Personal Assistant:||Mrs. M. Moisa|
|Faculty Secretaries:||Ms. M. J. Ngatane|
|Mrs. M. R. Monyane|
|Mrs. F. Mohapi|
The Faculty of Science and Technology offers excellent opportunities to local and foreign students interested to build a career in any of the disciplines of Pure Sciences, Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology. It has excellent teaching and research facilities and well-qualified staff.
Our vision is to be a leading faculty of the sciences, applied sciences and engineering in both teaching and research in order to provide innovative solutions to societal problems.
The mission of the Faculty is to utilize its share of resources for research, effective quality teaching in the major disciplines of the natural and applied sciences. In pursuit of its mandate the faculty shall take due cognizance of the overarching University Mission to place science and technology as drivers for developmental processes for the nation.
The following five departments constitute the faculty:
Chemistry and Chemical Technology
Geography and Environmental Science
Mathematics and Computer Science
Physics and Electronics
In order to contribute to the growth and sustenance of Science and Technology, the faculty has a number of objectives with regard to the education of its students.
- Providing training in basic Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Geography, Mathematics, Physics) and also in Applied Sciences and Engineering (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Chemical Technology, Electronics, Information Systems, Biotechnology, Environmental Science) for students interested in obtaining B.Sc. or B.Eng. degrees and employment in these fields.
- Providing education students with the background information needed to equip them to be competent teachers in two subject areas (B.Sc.Ed. degree).
- Providing the basis for the future advanced training in the basic sciences for career development in Architecture, Engineering, Geology, Medicine or Veterinary sciences.
The Faculty of Science and Technology offers two types of B.Sc. degrees to students undertaking these programmes. These are the single major degrees (taken in a single subject) and the double major degrees with various combinations of Biology, Chemistry, Geography, Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, and Statistics. The Faculty also offers Bachelor of Engineering, Bachelor of Technology and Bachelor of Science degrees in the following areas of specialization.
- B.Eng. in Computer Systems and Networks
- B.Eng. in Electronics
- B.Sc. in Chemical Technology
- B.Sc. in Electronics
- B.Sc. in Information Systems
- B.Sc. in Computer Science
- B.Sc. in Statistics
- B.Sc. in Biotechnology
- B.Sc. in Environmental Science
- Postgraduate Diploma in Information Systems
The Faculty offers Honours degree programmes in:
- Mathematics and Physics
It also offers the following Masters programmes:
- MSc in Chemistry
- MSc in Sustainable Energy