- Download 25
- File Size 90.93 KB
- Create Date June 16, 2022
DIRECTOR, LEGAL SERVICES
POST NO. 0008
The National University of Lesotho invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for the position of Director, Legal Services placed in the Administration Department of the Vice-Chancellor’s Office.
- JOB SUMMARY
The Director, Legal Services (DLS) reports to the Vice-Chancellor and is primarily responsible for providing legal advice, counsel, and guidance to the University in responding to legal actions against the University. The DLS will work with all constituencies in fulfilling the duties of the office.
- KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
2.1 Oversees, manages and provides advice on the provision of all legal services to the University; ensuring maximum protection of the University’s legal rights while maintaining operations within the limits of prescribed laws.
2.2 Provides legal counsel and guidance on strategy, policy and implementation approaches on legal and compliance matters at the University and to university officers and senior management, including with regard to governance, employment law, policies and procedures, rules and regulations, laws pertaining to students, real estate transactions, contracts and leases, tax matters, liability and insurance matters and other laws and regulations in all jurisdictions where the University operates.
2.3 Provides the University and senior management with effective counsel, guidance and advice, and responds to legal actions against the University; anticipates and identifies legal issues and counsels officers and senior management in the development of legal and business strategies and solutions.
2.4 Represents the University in court and administration cases and negotiations; advises on the selection of any outside counsel and liaises with such counsel.
2.5 Researches legal issues and recommends revisions to current legislation and policies, as necessary.
2.6 Advises management regarding agreements for potential University collaborations and partnerships.
2.7 Serves as risk manager by developing appropriate protocols, strategies and procedures to minimize financial and reputational risk to the University.
2.8 Develops, reviews and recommends changes to the University Act, Statutes, Ordinances and other official University documents and policies to assure internal consistency, and compliance with the laws of Lesotho, including the Higher Education Act.
2.9 Serves as legal advisor to the University around specific employment and benefit issues, collaborates on employee and labour relation matters with others in University management, including strategy for defence and settlement of disputes.
2.10 Serves as legal advisor on all major business transactions of the University business ventures and advises on legal aspects involving the University, including current and future business structures and legal entities.
2.11 Represents the University as requested and other duties as assigned.
- MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- Must hold an LLB and be a legal practitioner admitted to practice under the Legal Practitioners Act 1983.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressive legal experience and responsibility
- Experience in developing and reviewing contracts
- Experience in supervising and coordinating the work of contracted legal professionals and consultants
- ADDED ADVANTAGE:
- LLM qualification will be an added advantage.
- Ten (10) years of progressive experience in the legal profession is desirable.
- Experience with legal issues related to higher education or having worked in an institution of higher education as legal representative will be an added advantage.
- KEY SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
5.1 Understanding of Lesotho laws and regulatory agencies; and laws that impact University policies and operations.
5.2 Ability to develop and implement legal strategies and solutions, analyse situations and make recommendations within a framework of legal and institutional requirements
5.3 Exceptional negotiating and interpersonal skills
5.4 Ability to work on several projects simultaneously
5.5 Ability to function effectively and collegially as a member of senior management; to communicate with a variety of individuals.
5.6 Strong ethical commitment and an ability to maintain confidentiality.
5.7 Ability to use appropriate technology to accomplish all tasks
- The University offers salaries and other benefits commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- EMPLOYMENT TYPE
- Fixed Term contract (3 years)
- INFORMATION REQUIRED FROM CANDIDATES:
- Signed application letters stating relevant qualifications and experience and provide other information that will assist the University to determine the candidate’s suitability for the position;
- Applicants should quote the vacancy number of the post applied for;
- Provide current CV’s (including telephone and e-mail contact details) and certified copies of educational certificates and transcripts;
- Provide names and contact details of three (3) contactable professional referees;
- Certified copy of an Identity Document.
All applications should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and addressed to:
Director Human Resources
National University of Lesotho
The closing date for receiving full applications for the position is 1st July, 2022.
DISCLAIMER: If you do not receive any response within three months after the closing date, you must consider your application unsuccessful.