FACULTY OF EDUCATION – Home
ABOUT THE FACULTY
First established on January 26th, 1967, the Faculty of Education is charged with the responsibility to:
- Produce relevantly qualified and competent teachers and other education professionals for all types and levels of education: primary, secondary and tertiary.
- Further education of professionals who are already in service and facilitate life-long learning for adults.
- Forge educational links with national and international institutions, organizations and agencies with the view to promoting development of education and strengthening the Faculty’s programmes and projects.
- Identify the needs of the country and those of learners, teachers as well as other education professionals, and then put in place in-service, part-time and distance learning programmes to address those needs, employing the most relevant and current technology.
- Carry out research in relevant educational areas such as curriculum and instruction, educational administration and management, special education and evaluation.
- Strengthen partnerships with education stakeholders such as the Ministry of Education and Training (MOET), churches and community.
- To provide consultancy and community services in areas of the Faculty’s expertise.
The Faculty teaching staff counts at approximately 40. The Faculty has a student population of 2,495 ; making it the largest of all the faculties.
To play a leading role in research, scholarship and community service in the field of education; and in developing highly competent teachers and other education professionals.
To provide relevant education and training to both pre-service and in-service teacher trainees with a view to producing education professionals such as teachers and curriculum developers who possess knowledge, skills and attitudes that will enable them to confidently address the ever-changing demands and challenges of the Basotho nation as well as to enhance excellence in teaching, learning, research and community service.
The Faculty shall embrace and promote the following values of the National University of Lesotho as spelt out in the University Strategic Plan: integrity, excellent customer care, honesty professionalism, tolerance, respect, transparency and accountability.
The Faculty is lead by the Dean, Associate Professor Paseka Andrew Mosia. The Dean works closely with three Heads of Department.
The Faculty of Education has three departments, namely:
Department of Educational Foundations (EDF) = Dr. Tebello Tlali
Department of Languages and Social Education Department (LASED) = Dr. Makhulu Makumane
Department of Science Education (Science Ed) = Dr. Makomosela Qhobela, respectively.
Special Education Service Unit
The Department of Educational Foundations (EDF) houses the Special Education Unit. This Unit renders services to all visually impaired students enrolled at the University.
Faculty Assistant Registrar:
Mrs. Khantše Habai
Faculty Administrative Assistant:
Mr. Rethabile Mokolokolo
Dean’s Personal Secretary:
Ms. Lindiwe Kheswa
Mrs. Monica Sehlabo-Likhoeli = Dept. of Language and Social Education (LASED)
Mrs. Nthatisi Ndabeni = Dept. of Educational Foundations (EDF)
Mrs. Nyakallo Bereng = Dept. of Science Education (Science Ed)
Mrs. Keesa Ramokoena = B.Ed. Primary
Ms. Ntsebeng Moeketsi